Some people wrote posts about stuff they want to see rewritten in Rust1, but that’s not this is about. I want to rewrite stuff in Rust to learn more Rust, learn more about the projects and their fields, and, well, just for fun.
A list of probably interesting things to (re)write in Rust
- A TOML reader/writer that does not change the layout of the file when adding fields. There’s some discussion of cargo-edit’s specific use-case here.
- Butteraugli – a tool for measuring differences between images (C++, Go port)
- FLIF – Free Lossless Image Format (C++)
- A virtual DOM thingy with adaptors for libui and CLI as described in this note
- A Twitter bot
- git-guilt using libgit2 (with the git2 crate) instead of spawning
For example: libpng, musl, life, the Linux kernel, the universe, and everything. ↩